Simple, Fresh Tomato Sauce
This post may contain affiliate links.
Skip the jar and serve your favorite pasta with this easy and fresh tomato sauce. Only five ingredients and five minutes of cooking time!
Whether you’re looking for a way to use up tomatoes, or you simply want to enjoy the bright flavors of a fresh tomato sauce from scratch, this is the recipe for you.
You only need a few ingredients for this sauce!
Fresh Tomato Sauce Ingredients
- Fresh tomatoes
- Fresh basil
- Olive Oil
- White Wine*
*If you don’t typically keep wine in the house, you can skip the white wine in this recipe. It adds nice layer to the flavor of the sauce, but it’s not essential.
You can also customize the sauce by adding red pepper flakes for heat, or parmesan cheese as a finishing touch.
Once the tomatoes, garlic, and basil have been chopped, this sauce comes together in a flash.
Serving Fresh Tomato Sauce with Pasta
Pasta isn’t the only thing you can serve with this sauce, but it’s the most popular. This recipe makes enough sauce to serve with about 12 oz of cooked pasta (4-6 servings).
I recommend boiling the pasta in a separate pan (in salted water) until it’s al dente. Then use a slotted spoon or tongs to transfer the cooked pasta into the pan with the sauce. This will allow the pasta to really absorb the flavors of the sauce, and it will also cause the sauce to thicken a bit so that it coats the pasta nicely.
This sauce has so much flavor despite its simplicity — you’ll feel like you’re eating on the banks of the Amalfi coast!
Fresh Tomato Sauce
- 6 roma tomatoes, diced (middle core removed)
- 1/8 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/8 cup dry white wine
- 2 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- kosher salt
- In a large saute pan, heat olive oil over medium-low heat until warm.
- Add tomatoes. Stir and cook for several minutes until tomatoes soften.
- Add garlic, white wine, and 1 tsp salt. Stir for an additional minute.
- Add basil and stir until it just begins to wilt and release flavor. Taste and season with additional salt, if desired.
- Combine with your favorite pasta and serve.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.