Simple Chicken Tortilla Soup
This post may contain affiliate links.
This easy chicken tortilla soup recipe will become a new staple in your weeknight dinner rotation. There are many versions of chicken tortilla soup in the world, but I’ve pared it down to its simplest ingredients to save you time and let the flavors shine.
We never seem to grow tired of Mexican flavors in my house. From tacos to soups and stews to burrito bowls, if it’s got some spice, some zest, and some jalapeno in there somewhere, we’re all over it! I’m a huge cilantro lover, so I use it every chance I get, but I keep it optional for those cilantro haters in the world.
My newest recipe is one of my simplest, but it is still big on flavor. This chicken tortilla soup is super easy (especially when you use a rotisserie chicken), and it makes for a light yet extremely satisfying dinner.
When using pre-cooked chicken, this recipe only takes 30 minutes from start to finish. But if you’re not in a hurry, you can also allow it to simmer on the stove until you’re ready to eat.
Shortcuts and Substitutions:
- I often use a rotisserie chicken for this recipe. One rotisserie chicken = the right amount of meat for the soup.
- Another trick is to cook the chicken on low in some broth in a slow cooker during the day – this makes it easy to shred.
- If you don’t like spice, you can omit the jalapeno or swap it with mild canned chiles.
- Feel free to add corn, black beans, or leftover cooked veggies if you’ve got some on hand.
What to serve with chicken tortilla soup:
This soup can stand alone as a meal, but if you want something a little heartier, I often make homemade guacamole to serve alongside the tortilla soup.
A simple cheese quesadilla would also be fantastic with this soup, and perfect for dipping.
Simple Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 fresh jalapeno, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, diced
- 4 c chicken broth
- 3 c cooked chicken breast, shredded
- 2 10 oz cans diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 lime
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro, optional
- crushed tortilla chips, for serving
- Add olive oil to a large soup pot, along with diced onion, celery, jalapeno, and garlic. Cook over medium low heat for about 5 minutes, or until onions are translucent.
- Add broth, chicken, diced tomatoes and chiles, cumin, cilantro, and salt to the pot. Bring to a boil.
- Lower heat to a simmer and allow to cook for 15-20 minutes to allow flavors to blend.
- Squeeze in lime juice from 1/2 lime (or to taste), and stir in cilantro leaves (if using) until wilted.
- Ladle into bowls and serve with crushed tortilla chips sprinkled over the top.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.