Pretzel Crusted Chicken
This post may contain affiliate links.
This delicious baked chicken breast recipe is super quick and easy. Chicken is briefly marinated in a dijon mustard sauce and then baked to crispy perfection. Done in less than 40 minutes!
One thing that’s been keeping me occupied during our time at home is going through my giant binder of recipes. I used to stash things in there whenever I made a “winner,” but over time I forgot about some of my tried and true favorites.
When I discovered a recipe I’d torn out from a food magazine long ago, I instantly remembered how much we’d loved it. My kids were young at the time, and picky, and it was difficult trying to find recipes that all four of us enjoyed. This one hit the mark.
My favorite things about this recipe:
- The dijon marinade/sauce has great flavor
- It’s baked and not fried, yet still has lots of crunch
- The pretzel coating gives a unique taste, and pairs so well with the dijon mustard (who doesn’t love soft pretzels dipped in mustard)?
- It’s a quick meal done in less than 40 minutes, start to finish.
I modified the original recipe a bit to eliminate the need for a food processor. If you already own one, you can certainly use it to speed things up, but the sauce and crushed pretzels can easily be made without it.
This recipe can also double as an appetizer! Just cut the baked chicken into bite size piece and serve with toothpicks.
Pretzel Crusted Chicken
- 4 6 oz boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups crushed hard pretzels
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup whole grain mustard
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/8 cup water
- 1 1/2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Place pretzels into a large sealable ziploc bag. Use a mallet or smooth side of a meat tenderizer to crush into small pieces. It should be a combination of small, coarse chunks and find crumbs.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the two types of mustard, vinegar, water, and oil until fully combined. Taste and season with a little bit of salt.
- Place HALF of the mustard mixture into a shallow dish and add the uncooked chicken. Turn to coat.
- Dredge the marinated chicken in the pretzel crumbs until coated on both sides.
- Place chicken on a rack over a baking sheet. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until internal temp reaches 165.
- Serve with remaining mustard marinade for dipping.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.