This easy dessert is made with fresh cranberries and apples with a simple brown sugar crumble topping. It’s delicious and perfect for the holidays! It can also be easily made dairy free or vegan.
When Thanksgiving and Christmas roll around, suddenly I am craving everything cranberry. This dessert combines the taste of cinnamon apple pie with the tartness of cranberries, and it’s topped with a simple crumble topping that has just the right amount of buttery, sugary crunch.
The holidays can feel so decadent that it’s nice to have a dessert that’s made with fresh, seasonal fruit.
Of course, if you want to dip into decadent territory, I will say that this is divine served warm alongside some vanilla ice cream.
Hey, you can still feel good about the fact that you’re eating fruit! :)
This baked cranberry apple dessert is super quick to prepare. Just peel and slice the apples (you only need 3, so it doesn’t take long), stir the ingredients together and pop it in the oven.
It takes about an hour to bake, and while you’re waiting you can bask in the amazing aromas that will be wafting through your kitchen.
Need a Dairy Free/Vegan Dessert?
This is a great dessert to make dairy free or vegan. All you need to do is swap out the butter for a vegan butter alternative, such as Earth’s Best.
Which Apples to Use for Baking
I used Granny Smith apples in this recipe because of their tart flavor and firm texture. But there are lots of other great baking apples you could use instead, including Jonagold, Honeycrisp, Braeburn, or Fuji.
Feeding a Crowd?
This recipe is very easy to double if you’re feeding a crowd. Just double the ingredients and bake in a 3 qt (9 x 13) baking dish instead of an 8×8 dish.
Easy Cranberry Apple Dessert
- 4 c apples approx 3 med/large apples
- 2 c fresh cranberries
- 1/2 c sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 salted butter softened
- 1/2 c flour
- 1/2 c brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Peel apples and slice into 1/2" slices.
- Combine apple slices, cranberries, sugar, and cinnamon in a bowl.
- Lightly butter a 1.5 quart baking dish (8 x 8 square). Add apple and cranberry mixture to dish and sprinkle with lemon juice.
- In a separate bowl, blend softened butter with flour and brown sugar using a fork, until mixture is crumbly.
- Sprinkle mixture evenly over the dish.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until topping is golden brown.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream (if desired).