Brussels Sprouts Salad with Bacon
This post may contain affiliate links.
Chopped brussels sprouts are combined with bacon, arugula, and a tangy lemon vinaigrette in this fantastic salad.
Years ago, I was NOT a fan of brussels sprouts. But eventually, I learned it wasn’t the brussels sprouts themselves I didn’t like — it was the PREPARATION.
I’ve now become a complete brussels sprout convert, and even consider them one of my favorite vegetables.
I think my initial dislike stemmed from the fact that the only brussels sprouts I tasted as a kid were boiled. When I had the opportunity to try them roasted, sauteed, and fried, the clouds parted and I could finally see the brussels sprout light.
I’ve made brussels sprouts a few different ways over the years, but this shredded brussels sprouts salad preparation is my favorite. It works perfectly as a side dish or as a main dish (especially if you add a little grilled chicken on top).
One reason I love making it for a dinner party or holiday meal because it’s a lot lighter than many typical brussels sprouts side dishes. Plus, because it’s a room temperature side dish, it’s one less thing you need worry about keeping hot during those frantic final minutes when you’re trying to get all of your food onto the table!
When you chop up the brussels sprouts and give them a light saute, they retain a fantastic crunch and turn a beautiful shade of bright green.
Shortcuts & Substitutions:
- You can substitute a store bought vinaigrette (although I highly recommend the homemade version – it’s quick to make).
- I use arugula in this recipe, but you can substitute any other salad green you like.
- To save time, you can purchase pre-shredded brussels sprouts at most grocery stores.
- If you’d like to make this a main course, I recommend adding grilled chicken breast and/or hard boiled eggs.
If you’re looking for a salad that’s quick, healthy, and a crowd pleaser, you need to add this one to your menu. And you might just convert even the staunchest brussels sprouts hater at the table.
Brussels Sprouts Salad with Bacon
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 8 slices bacon, separated
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 lbs approx 4 cups roughly chopped brussels sprouts
- 1 slice lemon
- 8 oz arugula or other tender salad greens, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp champagne or white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Cook 5 slices of bacon until crisp using the method of your choice. Cool, chop and set aside for later.
- In a skillet, drizzle some olive oil, and lightly saute the 3 uncooked bacon slices until they’re just starting to render.
- Add the garlic and chopped brussels sprouts and stir over medium/low heat for about 1 minute.
- Squeeze in the juice from your lemon slice and sprinkle in some salt and pepper.
- Saute for an additional 2 minutes, or until the sprouts have softened a little, but still have some crunch, drizzling in a little more olive oil if needed.
- Add additional salt and lemon juice to taste, and remove from heat.
- Remove bacon slices and discard.
- Once the sauteed brussels sprouts have cooled slightly, toss them in a large bowl with the chopped greens and the cooked, chopped bacon. Just before serving, toss with the dressing.
- Place all ingredients into a closed container and shake until combined.
For vinaigrette: Combine ingredients in a bowl and whisk until combined.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.