Easy Homemade BBQ Chicken Pizza
This post may contain affiliate links.
Inspired by my favorite pizza at California Pizza Kitchen, this recipe for BBQ Chicken Pizza can be made in your own kitchen at home. It’s a a fun twist on traditional pizza, and a great way to use up leftover cooked chicken.
Ever since I discovered the tricks for making delicious pizza at home with store bought dough, I’ve been enjoying experimenting with homemade pizza toppings. There are tons of pizza topping combinations I love, but one of my favorites is a BBQ Chicken Pizza.
If you’ve never tried it before, you’re in for a treat! BBQ sauce is a nice departure from pizza sauce, and the combination of flavors and textures in this pizza are just divine.
This pizza is also a perfect way to use up leftover ingredients such as red onion, cooked chicken, or shredded cheese.
Ingredients for BBQ Chicken Pizza:
- pizza dough (store bought or homemade)
- BBQ sauce
- cooked chicken
- red onion
It’s amazing how much flavor comes out of these five simple ingredients!
shortcuts and substitutions:
- You can use a refrigerated ball of dough or pre-baked pizza dough for this recipe. If you’re using refrigerated dough, I recommend following these instructions for getting the best results from refrigerated dough. (For a pre-baked crust, follow the recommended instructions on the packaging.)
- If you don’t already have cooked chicken in the fridge, a rotisserie chicken is a great time saver in this recipe.
- A variety of cheeses would work on a BBQ Chicken Pizza, so if you’ve already got cheese open in your fridge, go ahed and use that! I typically use mozzarella or Monterey jack, but you could also use gouda or cheddar…or a combination of cheeses.
BBQ Chicken Flatbread Pizza
- 1 lb store bought pizza dough, cooked or uncooked
- 4-5 tbsp good BBQ sauce
- 1/8 cup red onion, sliced thinly
- 1.5 cup shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella or monterey jack cheese
- 1//2 cup cilantro
- rolling pin
- baking sheet
- Heat oven to 450 degrees.
- Spread a thin layer of olive oil on the bottom of your pizza pan. (A 15 x 9 sheet pan or 14 inch pizza pan works best.
- Roll out dough and place onto the pan.* Bake un-topped dough for approximately 5 minutes.
- Remove dough from the oven. Spread on the BBQ sauce and evenly top with shredded chicken, onion, and cheese.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until cheese is melted and beginning to brown.
- Top cooked pizza with chopped cilantro.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.