Inspired by my favorite pizza at California Pizza Kitchen, this recipe for BBQ Chicken Pizza can be made in your own kitchen at home. It’s a a fun twist on traditional pizza, and a great way to use up leftover cooked chicken.
Ever since I discovered the tricks for making delicious pizza at home with store bought dough, I’ve been enjoying experimenting with homemade pizza toppings. There are tons of pizza topping combinations I love, but one of my favorites is a BBQ Chicken Pizza.
If you’ve never tried it before, you’re in for a treat! BBQ sauce is a nice departure from pizza sauce, and the combination of flavors and textures in this pizza are just divine.
This pizza is also a perfect way to use up leftover ingredients such as red onion, cooked chicken, or shredded cheese.
Ingredients for BBQ Chicken Pizza:
- pizza dough (store bought or homemade)
- BBQ sauce
- cooked chicken
- red onion
It’s amazing how much flavor comes out of these five simple ingredients!
shortcuts and substitutions:
- You can use a refrigerated ball of dough or pre-baked pizza dough for this recipe. If you’re using refrigerated dough, I recommend following these instructions for getting the best results from refrigerated dough. (For a pre-baked crust, follow the recommended instructions on the packaging.)
- If you don’t already have cooked chicken in the fridge, a rotisserie chicken is a great time saver in this recipe.
- A variety of cheeses would work on a BBQ Chicken Pizza, so if you’ve already got cheese open in your fridge, go ahed and use that! I typically use mozzarella or Monterey jack, but you could also use gouda or cheddar…or a combination of cheeses.
BBQ Chicken Flatbread Pizza
- rolling pin
- baking sheet
- 1 lb store bought pizza dough cooked or uncooked
- 4-5 tbsp good BBQ sauce
- 1/8 cup red onion sliced thinly
- 1.5 cup shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella or monterey jack cheese
- 1//2 cup cilantro
- Heat oven to 450 degrees.
- Spread a thin layer of olive oil on the bottom of your pizza pan. (A 15 x 9 sheet pan or 14 inch pizza pan works best.
- Roll out dough and place onto the pan.* Bake un-topped dough for approximately 5 minutes.
- Remove dough from the oven. Spread on the BBQ sauce and evenly top with shredded chicken, onion, and cheese.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until cheese is melted and beginning to brown.
- Top cooked pizza with chopped cilantro.